Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Focus mk1 1.8tdci wont start

Customer Question

focus mk1 1.8tdci wont start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Its also worth replacing the fuel filter if you haven't already as if only slightly clogged it can stop teh fuel pump from priming and reduce power
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Glow plugs were changed a few months ago in january so they should be fine. There is a clicking when I turn the ignition on every time. Fuel filter was changed at the same time also. It starts when i tow it, takes a few bumps but it goes...

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Miles

OK this sounds like the engine isn't cranking ?

in which case check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Car cranks fine and does fire occasionally. It will start run for 2 seconds then die again. battery is brand new and starter is fine. It was running perfect up until a few weeks ago..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Answer came too late.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anyone able to help me?