Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Brian, We have a ford transit 2.4 di on a 2002 which we

Customer Question

Hi Brian, We have a ford transit 2.4 di on a 2002 which we brought as a vehicle vehicle. The vehicle developed internal noise which we assumed was crank bearings and proceeded to remove the engine. On closer inspection it turned out to be the gudgeon pin race that had failed. We fitted and new cod rod, piston rings and head gasket etc. We fitted a new timing chain kit and used autodata for the timing guide using a relevant timing pins etc. Unfortunately the vehicle will not start but will however start if a fasion using easy start. We have carried out a diagnostic and the faults in the system are:-
FIP crank reference synchronisatoin
Fuel timing error reported
FIP requesting reduced fuelling mode
All this looks like its pointing to the timing of the fuel pump but we have double checked this and cannot see how you can get this wrong if you have the right tools. Please can you offer any assistance on this?
Regards Kayne
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi kayne good morning to you
Ok was the crankshaft pin inserted.
Was the gold links on the timing chain lined up with the marks (dots) on the cam pulleys and the fuel pump and was the drill bits inserted into the cam pulleys and fuel pump sprockets
then chain tensioner pin pulled and pulleys tightened
Then was the engine turned twice by hand and crank pin inserted into flywheel and then the 6 mm drill bits inserted into the Cam pulleys and fuel pump pulleys
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian thanks for the swift response. The links were lined up to the relevant sprockets and the timing checked once rotated. Is there another way of making sure the crank is 100% ie do these engines time up with number 1 piston being TDC?. I figure if the timing was out surely it wouldnt run on easy start would it?

Hi kayne the codes you have are basically saying the fuel pump isn't synced with the crankshaft
We can check this on our dataligger under the engine sync setting
On crank it will say yes or no
The crankshaft pin is inserted through the crank sensor hole 50 degrees before TDC
There is 2 different crank pins for transit
One for TDDI and one for the TDCI
The pins look alike but the tdci one has a smaller end part where as the TDDI is the same all the way
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian, I have ordered the timing pins and will keep you posted

Hi kayne ,good morning to you
No worries if you need the timing set up or assustance please let me know
I look forward to your reply
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, could you show me a picture of what the crank pin on 2.4 di should look like.
Regards Kayne
2.0,TDDI timing pin