Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I drive a Ford Focus 2005, 1.6 manual gearbox, it has

Customer Question

I drive a Ford Focus 2005, 1.6 manual gearbox, it has done about 50000 miles. I have an intermittent problem changing gear. Occasionally I can’t shift into 1st or 3rd gear. It feels like something is stopping the gear leaver from moving into the required position. On a 50 mile journey it can happen 2 or 3 times. Under normal circumstances the gearbox works fine without and noise or problems.
Could you please advise what the problem might be.
Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing, the issue that you are having is consistent with the clutch release bearing starting to fail. When this bearing starts to cause problems is primarily when the bearing reaches a certain temperature, also the gears that are affected are the 1st and 3rd gears. The gear box would need to be removed in order to make this repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I have just spoken to the previous owner and he said the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing were replaced about 3 weeks ago. Do you think it was a faulty bearing?

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I believe that either the bearing was damaged or faulty or installed incorrectly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
thanks for that. before I take the gearbox off and replace the bearing please could you explain why this only affects two of the gears and what I should look for when I examine the release bearing.
thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The 1st and third gear are on the same synchronizer and are in are activated with a different shift fork so when the bearing is causing a problem it affects these bearings first, it will affect the others eventually. You will be llooking for pitting or unevenness in the bearing.