Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2005 1.6 ghia ford focus. The aircon is not working

Hi, I have a 2005 1.6 ghia ford focus. The aircon is not working and when the fans are turn on it causes the centre console to get really hot behind the aircon unit and on the side of the drivers footwell when the car is on or being driven. I have no idea why this is happening, my mrs took the car into halfords for a service but i dont think she explained the issue properly so they could not see the problem.
It becoming a bit hot to drive with the weather at the min so any help would be much appreciated.
Steve
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Steve ,good morning to you
Ok does the air go cool (not cold ) when you turn the dial to the cold
Does the disk feel loose to turn as if nothing is moving hot to cold
Is this a mk1 (old shape focus ) or a newer style mk2 focus
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi its a newer shape 2005, the dial feels fine. The heating works and heats up fine, but whenever the fan is switched on passed the 0 it beings to get really hot all around the plastic on the console behind where the dials are. putting the ac does make the air slightly cooler but it has no real effect as its so hot on the console. The aircon was recharge when the car was purchased 3 years ago but due to the issue its hardly been used and there is loads of gas in there.

Hi Steve
Ok this hadn't anything to do with the air con the most likely cause is a kinked temperature control cable
There is a cable connected to the temperature control dial mechsnisim
This them connects to the green perspire blend flap on the heater box
What we see is this cable kinks upward thus not allowing the cool air setting
This is why we get constant hot air
To check this pull the trim off that goes around the radio
And remove the 4 screws that secure the radio this allows you access to the heater control cable to see if it has linked upwards
If it has Pop it off and bend it in the other direction and apply a smear of grease to it and reconnect and
In most cases thus will resolve the issue but if it returns ideally you should have a new cable fitted
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Steve please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So would that kink cause the plastic on the console to get that hot? i mean it so hot that you can only put your hand on it for a short time.

I will try this tonight and let you know how it goes and fingerscrossd that works.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Hi Steve
Yes this cable issue would cause this as the temp blend flap is set to fully hot thus the longer you drive the vehicke the hotter it will get
It's basically as if the dial was all the way to fully hot cornstantly the cehicje would get really hot /dash etc
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I couldn't see any kinks after taking the the radio out and air con unit, it took it all apart and put it back but inside you can still feel the heat through the vents behind the radio when the ac is on.

The lighter socket is also not working and i was wondering whether this could be connected to the heating issue, i was reading that there is a fuse board on the passages side that could be linked to this?

Hi there
Ok if there is no links on the cable at the dial we must look at the temperature blend flap on the passengers side of the heater box to ensure the cable hadn't come off at the heater box side
As when you turn the dial to cool /blue the air should cool down but in your case the air coming out the vents is still hot is this correct
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The vents in the car are blowing out air temp which does get slightly cooler when the air con is switch on. The vents behind the radio and heater unit are blowing out really hot air as soon as fan dial is turn on.

I will have another look after work today, otherwise i think i'll have to take it into a local garage.

Thanks again

Hi Steve ,good evening to you no worries Ok dis -regard the air con for the time being as turning the dial to cold should let outside air in the vehicle thus cool air from the vents If you have constant hot air from the vents then the temperature control flap/cable should be inspected as this is what controls the air flow -hot or cold The air con will only work efficiently when the temperature flap is set to cold Regards ***** ***** Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE