Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 51 reg automatic ford transit which has an problem

Customer Question

I have a 51 reg automatic ford transit which has an problem where the gearbox cuts out. Then wont start? a little nock to the gearbox sorts it most the time
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -
With this issue - a fault with the ASM / transmission like this will cause a complete non start - often its the ASM module or motor that has gone faulty - though of course it could be wiring and the wiring etc does need / should always be checked first.
Indeed - fyi - Ford issued a RECALL for Transits so equipped - for the the vans built 2001 - end 02... so yours would come into that. Quite likely its never been done..so the first thing would be to call the local dealer and ask them. They should have a record of if yours has been recalled and done or not.. then go from there. ( Have the vans VIN with you when you call ) Often this work will cure the problems that you have.
IF not - or if the recalls been done etc then the next thing is to have them test the system electronically really -
I don't know but most people need garage help with a fault such as this as tools and electronic test / equipment is needed to verify the fault and complete the job.
If you dont want a Ford dealer involved ( if the recall doesn't apply etc as above) - then I would actually recommend for you to look up and use a local Auto Trans specialist - this I say because they are a lot more au fai with these issues than general type garages and have access to cheaper parts usually...
Im sorry this is not a straight forward fix issue for you.. that's the best way forward on this one for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
--Meantime -- Please click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.