Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mondeo LX Auto 1999cc having problems with the button on the

Mondeo LX Auto 1999cc having problems with the button on the selecter now and again it wont press in so I have removed the rubber plug next to the handle and have to use a screwdriver to free the button
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help -
Can you tell me - when this happens - do you hear any buzzing noise at all from the selector area ?
Too - please check and see if the brake lights work when the pedal is pressed - and let me know -
Rgds, MIKE.......................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike Yes the button itself buzz's like mad sometimes I thought it was just vibration I've had a look and yes the brake lights are fine even when the button is stuck, when all is fine you can hear the switch click when you depress the brake and you hear a click when the button is pressed

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there John -
Thank you for your reply & info -
In that case then, all things considered, the most likely fault is the solenoid for the selector lever John - gone or going faulty - needing replacing.
What happens is - as you might know, of course you need to press the brake to move the selector - when you press the brake - if the brake lights come on , then tends to suggest the brake switch is ok - which then sends a charge to power the selector solenoid for you to move / unlock it.
When you get the buzzing, its generally the electric solenoid thats then faulty and needs to be replaced. Of course you "could" have a faulty / simple sticking button - mechanically sticking - that does need checking first... then go from there as found.
I don't know if you know but there is an emergency release for the selector to get you going in the event of failures like this - Unclip / lift the surround - plastic base at the base of the lever - lift it and twist around to one side - you will see a hole there - either roughly centrally or toward the front area if its a later one - use a screwdriver or similar to press down in there to release the button - and as you do - you can move the lever out of Park - and hence get you going until you get this fixed.
Most any small type garage can effect the repairs for you John cheaper than having a dealer do it.. I don't know costs Im afraid as every garage charges differently, but this is not an expensive task.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cheers ***** ***** a couple of things can you tell me the name of the solenoid I need and its location in the car I've put engines in cars replaced clutches etc so how much of a job is it to do myself

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again John - You caught me just before I was about to go off for the night..
There are different versions John as far as I recall depending on year etc - but basically its in the selector - some you had to replace the whole selector stick as a whole.
The best thing I would suggest is, give the local Ford dealer parts dept a ring - make sure you have your VIN when you ring - tell them its the selector solenoid you need - and they will tell you exactly whats available for your exact car.. Then you can decide whether to purchase from them - or second hand or whatever..
If you are unsure about doing the job John, might be worth getting a manual on it - but to be honest as you are mechanically minded as you say, I don't really think you ll have any trouble ..
-- I hope all goes well for you John -Im sure it will..
Best Rgds, MIKE.
--- Please do click on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this point John .. Thank you very much.. and you are welcome back anytime.