Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Sean. My son has a 2008 Focus 1.6TDCi. It has been fine

Customer Question

Hi Sean. My son has a 2008 Focus 1.6TDCi. It has been fine until it had a dpf fault last year which resulted in a new dpf being fitted. The one fitted came from EuroCarParts. Two weeks ago it had to go back into the garage to have the turbo hose (rubber) replaced due to a split. The garage noted that the oil level was way over MAX. They dropped the oil and replaced it with a new filter. Yesterday I checked the oil and, again, it was 15mm above MAX. The garage are scratching their heads over this. On the invoice for the dpf work they mentioned 'possible damaged sensor' but didn't specify what sensor. Would this have a bearing on the oil level increasing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response Do you still require assistance with this issue Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please. Nobody else has responded yet.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Ok the oil level rising will most commonly be down to the DPF trying to regenerate
When the soot loading in the filter reaches a set limit (about 35%-50%) the vehicle's PCM will initiate post combustion fuel injection to raise the exhaust temperature and trigger an active regeneration of the DPF
If the journey is too short or engine too cold while the regeneration is in progress, it may not complete the regeneration
This can lead to the oil becoming diluted with diesel
In your case when the the DPF was replaced the learned values were most likely not reset
Therefore the PCM doesn't know it has a new empty filter thus it will try and regenerate the DPF when really it doesn't need it
After replacing the DPF the learned values if both the DPF and DPF pressure sensor should be reset using compatible diagnostic software
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I took the car back to my garage with the information you provided. They had reset the learned values when the DPF filter was changed. Interrogating the ECU today revealed that the engine had tried, unsuccessfully, to regenerate the DPF five times since the filter was changed. They spoke to the Ford Technical Department which was very helpful. Further tests including a smoke test on the engine, revealed that a rigid plastic pipe at the rear of the engine (forgot the name) had two holes in it. This pipe was replaced and further tests done. The ECU was still trying to initiate a regeneration cycle, which wasn't completing. They replaced the DPF sensor with a new one and forced a regeneration, which completed successfully. Everything is now how it should be.

Hi there good evening to you
That's great news
I just wanted to be sure that the DPF Lindvall use had been reset as this can cause us to shoot my next stage would be to give you some tests on the centra I just wanted to be sure that the DPF learned values had been reset as this can cause this issue which was in turn down to failed regenerations causing the oil to dilute
my next step awaiting your reply was to give you some tests on the DPFsensor using a mumtimeter
But Iam glad we have resolved the issue
If you ever need any future help or advice with your vehicle please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you have been Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. It was the Ford Technical Department that explained the tests using a multimeter and vacuum tester. The original DP sensor failed that test.

Hi there
Yes this was the next step I was going to advise as Iam surprised this wasn't tested when the original fault was identified as this was probably the route cause of the DPF blocking up
Regards ***** *****
Brian