Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Have a Ford S Max 2011 2ltr diesel and am finding it is not

Have a Ford S Max 2011 2ltr diesel and am finding it is not easy to select first gear without clunking into it and then clunking into 2nd
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Ok is it Only 1st and 2nd gear this issue is present
I assume the gear selection with engine off is ok
Is the difficult to engage the gear or blocking then going in
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes at slow speed the gear lever is blocked and then goes in when forced and sometimes it goes in but clunks sometimes once sometimes clunking twice and then changing upto 2nd clunks into this gear 3rd gear has a slight clunk but other gears ok

Hi there thanks
Ok if it was only 1st and 2nd then I would suspect a faulty synchro as this is what assists selection (slowing down if the gears ) on 1st and 2nd
But if you are saying 3rd is causing and issue it may well be that the clutch is not clearing properly
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian

1st and 2nd are the problem. From standstill and trying to select 1st gear it is not easy to select 1st but if I pull gear lever back towards 2nd something gives and then it is easyer to select 1st but still clunks into 2nd gear. Does this still point to synchro and if so why does the local ford mechanic not point to this instead of adjusting the gearbox levers. Should I insist on gearbox replacement.Thanks Kevin

Hi there Kevin good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok if 1st and 2nd feel ok with engine off but blocking with engine running then the fault will lie with either the clutch or the 1st/2nd synchro hub (possible blocking ring issue ) more commonly the synchro as the clutch not clearing would effect other gears and is also worse when cold
The blocking ring is used to slow the gears down before the synchro assist engagement
If the synchro or blocking rings of the synchro are worn then the 1st/2nd gear synchro needs to be replaced
This involves removing and stripping the gearbox down
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One last question please Brian

How should 1st and 2nd gears feel with the engine not running if its the synchro that needs replacing

Many thanks Kevin

Hi Kevin
You wouldn't notice a synchro fault with engine off the fears would feel smooth
Regards Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE