Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

There is a clunking sound coming from underneath my Ford Fiesta

There is a clunking sound coming from underneath my Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec (09 REG.).
The problem is more noticeable when cornering right especially if driving over a bump. Local Ford mechanics have checked the suspension and found nothing wrong. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok is this more noticeable coming off speed bumps
Is it a constant noise or doesn't vary
Is it a heavy knock or clunk or a heavy creaking noise
Is it felt through the steering wheel
Does the noise happen if you turn the steering slight when stationery like a click noise
Sorry for all the questions
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

In reply to your questions,

I don't think that speed bumps affect the noise. What does affect the noise is an uneven road and the noise is much more pronounced when cornering right. Taking left-hand corners does not cause the noise unless the road is very uneven.

The noise is an intermittent clunk which is not felt through the steering wheel.

The car suspension was checked by a Ford dealer and found to be OK. They did however, change the nearside front linkage assembly the previous week. They also found that the offside alloy wheel had a dent so that it did not run true when rotated. They said this would not cause the noise I described,

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave thanks
Do you feel the noise is more to the front drivers side or front of underside vehicle
Could it be described as a small knock
Can this ever be heard when vehicle is staionary ie: turning the steering wheel lock to lock -slowly
Does it ever happen when braking
Did anyone at your ford dealer go a road test with you
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

In reply to your questions,

I feel that the noise is coming from the underside of the vehicle and it is a loud knock.

I have tried slowly turning the steering wheel from lock to lock when stationery and there is no noise.

It doesn't happen when braking.

A mechanic did come out with me on a road test and he agreed there is something wrong.

I forgot to mention on the dealer's visual health check it mentions that the front flexi is weak. They gave it an amber status.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave thanks
Ok if the suspension is visually ok ie: no play or movement dtc then the next thing I would be checking for (as strange as it seems ) is stone entrapment
This is something I have seen more and more of over the years where by stones or more commonly driveway chips become entrapped in either the front subframe area or the rear coil springs causing an intermitent knocking noise
This can be overlooked by technicians as the first thought is the suspension (as this has already been checked by ford ) IamAssuming the front ball joints /link rods etc have been checked under load
As it's strange the technician road tested with you but then says there is a fault but stil it isn't resolved
I would start by advising inspection in and around the subframe area for any stone entrapment
Regards ***** ***** Dave
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Stones have already been removed from springs. I don't know if they have checked the subframe.

I am not sure what the front flexi is and whether weakness would account for the noise.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave ,good afternoon to you
It yssinetging we're a lot of ie :stone entrapment in the front subframe close inspection should be carried out on the subframe
Also link rods can be checked on 2 poster Ramps where by there is no play but on a 4 poster slight play is eveident
Regards Brian