Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Transit2.5 Di Turbo .Year 2000. Speedo n/w. Speedo sensor

Customer Question

Transit2.5 Di Turbo .Year 2000.
Speedo n/w. Speedo sensor replaced
Rev Counter and all other gauges working.
Is the small plastic drive gear easily removable to check ?
George Owen
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
The "best" and quickest way forward George for you is to have a plug in test done - in the OBD socket -
With this check you are not looking for fault codes etc - you are wanting to go into Live Data - speedo - and simply there you are checking for a signal being produced from the speedo sensor..
If you have that - then you know the drive in the gearbox etc is all ok -and the fault then is usually with the dash -
No signal - assuming the sensor is ok, usually means the drive in the g'box -
If memory serves George the box has to come off to do that , but if needed I can double check on that for you.
But really thats the next best step for you - its only a quick test so any garage with the right equipment shouldn't charge much for that - and it saves a lot of time / hassle that way -- you know then exactly which way to progress.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.