Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

2008 C-Max 1.8 diesel Split turbo hose replaced, wooshing noise disapeared, as did engine

Customer Question

2008 C-Max 1.8 diesel
Split turbo hose replaced, wooshing noise disapeared, as did engine malfunction notice.
Two weeks later, car suddenly coughs and splutters at low revs, but turbo responds well when floored, but makes a whinning/coughing noise when acceleration stopped and clutched pressed in.
car does low milage, garage have advised taking in for a long run to clear filters. If filters were blocked, would this back pressure affect the turbo too?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok just to clarify the fault just now is a whining noise noise at idle in combination with rough idle
Is there any smoke from exhaust
Is the engine running ok when stationary
Is it more a hesitation only under light throttle
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Evening Brian,

Runs fine at idle. No whinning, only when turbo spooling down [i think]

Normal smoke for a diesel, but smells very chemically since hose was replaced.

Engine runs fine when stationary, but coughs on the way if i floor it.

Hesitation under light throttle, judders in controlled smooth acceleration, but only a minor cough in hard acceleration.

1st gear in particular, if I floor it, there's a delay where I'd expect the boost and it comes in a big handful all at once after a cough.

Hi there thanks
Ok the first thing I would be doing here as a preliminary diagnosis is to blank the EGR valve off as your all the symptoms you show are indications of EGR valve issues ie hesitating etc
To do this remove the 2x10 mm bolts from the EGR feed pipe at the drivers rear of the engine bay and fit a blanking plate in place of the gasket and then road test the vehicle
You would be amazed at how shy times this test has ruled out faults and is always one of the first ports of call when missfire /hesitations occur on tdci varients
There is no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters on the 1.8tdci ) so the blockage of this can be ruled out
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
We can continue our discussions on this same post
Brian