Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a ford kuga 2009 a hot meta smell from engine and cooling

Customer Question

I have a ford kuga 2009 a hot meta smell from engine and cooling fan is on all the time heater blows hot and cold
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delay
Ok from your description of your fault the first thing to inspect is for a coolant leak (the cooling system is low on coolant ) (coolant resivoir empty )
This will cause an overheating concern of the engine thus bringing the fan on constantly
This is to warn of overhearing which fit isthe case continued driving with low coolant can cause internal engine damage
When the coolant system is low due to a leak you will get cold air Untill you Rev the engine then it may go warm then as you ease off it will go cold again as when accelerating or revving the engine you are forcing hot coolant into the heater matrix to give you hot air
So the first check must be for a suspected coolant leak
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked coolant level is correct and oil level is correct
Hi there thanks
Ok is the cooling fan running constantly (with air con off ) after you start engine from cold
Does the temp gauge rise into the red and coolant start boiling up
Has the coolant level dropped at all or been topped up
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not topped coolant up temputre only reaches halfway as normal but it gets there very quickly then fan kicks in
And can not cool the water I have run the car with heater on max and the temputre did not rise
Hi there thanks
Ok if there is no overheating issues but the fan is coming in early then we must suspect and investigate an ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor fault )
As if the ECT is out of spec (reading wrong it will bring the fan in when its not needed thus the coolant isn't getting a chance to get hot as it bring cooled down constantly
Regards ***** *****
Brian