Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

On Friday I bought a 2014 Fiesta Zetec s Ecoboost (12k

Hi on Friday I bought a 2014 Fiesta Zetec s Ecoboost (12k miles) from a franchised Nissan dealer (yes Nissan) :)
There was an intermittent fault with the engine starting,sometimes it would turn ove and other tmes it would turn over and cut out as soon as hand was released from key in ignition.
Ford assist sent my local garage to check the car as it was stuck on the drive. It started fine and the diagnostic machine picked up no falt.
After the garage left, the issue resurfaced!!
The garage I purchased it from requested I drive it to work on Monday to get them to collect.
After 4 attempts it started. 10 miles into my journey, whilst travelling a 70mph on dual carriage way, the car lost all power & steering, literally in 2 seconds with no warning lights?
AA came out and diagnostic machine pointed towards a clutch fault (aa tech advised clutch pedal/sensor too high?)
Te garage collected car and have advised it was a faulty ignition barrel, and has been replaced?
Would this cause such a loss of power, or is it likely another fault exists? They didn't mention any repairs to the clutch sensor etc, simply the ignition barrel?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Iam sorry to hear you are having issues with your fiesta
Ok I carry out most of the technical diagnostics in my dealership and have never heard or seen a faulty ignition barrel cause such an issue
As the ignition barrel is only used to work the ignition switch for accessory postion (pos1 ) ignition on (pos 2) and crank (pos 3 )
I would be very surprised for this to cause this issue as if you were driving and the ignition switch was ie turned to off
You would have lost all ignition lights etc on the dash display
It seems from your description something cut the engine out
The most common issue we see a would link in with your issue is a faulty fuel pump in the tank or a throttle body concern
Obivously I can't say for sure if any further codes may have been logged
As I have never seen an ignition barrel cause this type of concern also if the ignition barrel was faulty the vehicle wouldn't turn over as you mentioned it turned over but didn't fire up )
in the mean time you will have to monitor the issue to see if anything arises but I would be surprised if this was the route cause
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have told the garage I would prefer to return the vehicle as have no confidence in it - funnily enough doing 70-0mph in 2 seconds was not my idea of fun. They seem to be glossing over that particular issue.

I was advised by them that I can't return the car until they have had the opportunity to fix the issue, but they seem to think it's just simply an ignition barrel...

They haven't mentioned if the (voicemail message) if the issue picked up by the AA Diagnostic has been resolved, nor the issue re loss of power.

The ignition fault was intermittent and all lights on the dash came on when key turned, and auto start stop light when amber to green.

So frustrating, but I appreciate your help.

Suicidal/Russian roulette run commute here I come :)

Hi there
All we can do at this point is monitor the issue to see if it arises again
I understand your frustration with this type of issue
But I would be surprised if an ignition barrel was causing the issues you have described
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
We can continue on this same post even after rating etc
If you wish for further discussions should the issue arise again
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE