sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I hav a mk4mondeo 1.8tdci started to drive lumpy and idle

Hi I hav a mk4mondeo 1.8tdci started to drive lumpy and idle lumpy plus wen im driving gives a knocking sound wen I accelorate went to a mechanic he put computer on it and it had no fault codes on further inspection by him he found out that my fuel pressure rating was 30000kpa when idling and he said it shud be around 16000 he said the knocking wad deisel knock due to to much deisel and that was my problem he sujested changing my fuel regulator can u confirm this or is it something else and is he right on the pressure ratings
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.First 30000 Kpa is correct at idle, this is about 300 bar which is about what you would expect to see, 160 bar would be too low at idle and is likely to cause a fault code to be logged.I would suggest checking the injector return values to see if a failing injector is causing too much diesel to be injected, check the laser etched numbers on the injector (as shown in the attachment) if the number ends in 3 then it would be a good idea to replace these as these were a faulty batch, the PCM calibration is also different for these injectors.Check the EGR is functioning correctly and that there are no air leaks in the induction system as both these cause excess fuel due to a lack of air.As I said at the beginning 300 bar is OK at idle.Let me know if you have further questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.Best wishes,Sean.