Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2007 Ford Focus Diesel Zetec. It has what

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2007 Ford Focus Diesel Zetec.
It has what feels like a misfire.
It has been a 3 diagnostic machines, no fault codes at all. It has been fully serviced including cambelt. Compressions are all ok.
I have sourced a second hand injector and tried that in each cylinder but still the same.
Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok is the missfire there all the time
What engine size is fitted to your focus
is it only noticeable under hard acceleration
Or is it hesitating under light throttle
Regards Brian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
It is fitted with a 1793cc Diesel engine.
It is there all the time but more noticeable when cold, once you get upto speed is feels like it's gone but as soon as you accelerate you still feel it.
It does not feel as though it's got any worse over the 2 months it has done it and confusing as it has never put a light on or logged and fault codes.
Andy
Hi Andy thanks
Ok does this seem to happen on light throttle or more on heavy throttle or in motorway ad accelerate lightly do you feel it kicking /hesitating
Does it happen at a certain rev range ie:1800-2200
Can you drive through the hesitation
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
I live on the Isle of Man so no motorways, just normal roads but it's there on light and full throttle, it does not go and you can't drive through it.
It's never felt as though it's going to break down and when you cruise you hardly feel it at all.
Andy
Hi Andy
Ok the first thing I would be ruling out is an EGR valve issue
The EGR valve is quite common on the 1.8tdci and is something I rule out as a preliminary diagnosis when hesitation issues occur
To rule the EGR out you need to fit a blanking plate at the EGR feed to the inlet manifold
To do this remove the 2x10 mm bolts and slip a blanking plate in and refit the bolts
This will stop any exhaust gases entering the engine
If you don't have a suitable blanking plate use the gasket as a Template and make one out of a piece of steel as alloy will just burn /melt
If the fault still persists after doing this then we can look further into this Andy as you will understand diagnosing this type of isdue online can be more difficult due to its nature
We can continue in this same post
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian,
I will not be able to try this until tomorrow at the earliest but I will let you know how I get on, via the same post
Andy
Hi Andy
No worries
I look forward to your reply
Regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
The EGR valve was dirty and I have cleaned it, I would say it feel about the same, maybe a little better but it's still not right.
What else would you suggest?
Andy
Hi Andy
Have you pyshically blanked the EGR valve off with a plate in place of the gasket
Also you should never remove these EGR valves from the manifold (4 bolts )
These are set up at the factory and for this reason shouldn't be removed /thus why the EGR valve isn't available
Seperarly thus why I always advise blanking them off
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
No I have not, is it the metal concertina pipe on the rear face of the manifold? I have not removed the bolts so nothing has been disturbed. If this is the right part I will blank it off tomorrow,
Andy
Hi Andy good evening to you
Yes this pipe is the exhaust feed to the EGR valve /manifold
By removing the 2x10 mm bolts and fitting a plate in place of the gasket it stops any exhaust gases entering the combustion chamber and is a very useful test to eliminate any EGR issues
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, my dad has been in hospital so only just got back to this.
I have blanked the EGR off with a metal plate and the fault is still there, what would you suggest trying next?
Thank you for your help
Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
Thank you for your help
Andy
Hi Andy good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok the EGR valve can be ruled out
Is this missfire more a hesitation /holding back or does it feel like a wobble from the vehicle
Is this happening at a certain Rev range of speed
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
More a wobble, the engine still revs ok and pulls ok but sounds like a 3 cylinder.
It happens at all revs and if the engine is not under load if feels ok, you can feel it a little but ok.
Andy
Hi Andy
Ok obiviosky this type if issue is a little more difficult to diagnose as I cannot actually feel it
in my experience with this engine regarding a wobble type feeling I have had injectors cause this issue but only seemed to happen at certain Rev ranges ie: 1800-2200 rpm
This was caused by imbalanced injectors (this can be a pain to pinpoint if you don't have spare ones to test as I have seen one or more cause this symptom
Other issues that can cause this issue and shouldn't be overlooked is a worn passengers side inner cv tripod
This can give a wobble when under load
On a4 poster check for excess lift in the joint
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
Thanks for that. It's defo not just in a rev range, right through all revs. I did source a secondhand injector and tried in each cylinder in turn but there was no difference. Do the injectors need to calibrated/ programmed to the car? Not as easy as the old type injectors I am thinking.
Where is the inner cv tripod located? I used to be a mechanic but been out of it for many years so have a good understanding of things but not kept up with new technology.
I know this is not an easy one but thank you for your patience
Andy
Hi Andy
Ok the injectors don't need coded on the 1.8tdci Varient
The passengers side inner cv tripod is on the inner side of the passengers driveshaft and can cause wobble issues which feel like a missfire under load
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian
I assume that if the car is stationary but the "misfire" is there, the cv tripod can be ruled out?
I did check things like engine mountings as I was not sure if one had failed but all look ok.
Andy
Yes if it's there when stationary it can be ruled out
Is the miss feel there at idle
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is, all the time, hot or cold, maybe a little more when cold but it is always there
Andy
Hi Andy
Ok I didn't know it was there at idle
I would then be suspecting a dual mass flywheel issue which an cause a missfire feel at idle
If you can feel the vibration through the vehicle it is common for techs to think it's a missfire when really it's the dual mass flywheel causing it
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way I can test that, where is it located..... Silly question I guess, gearbox out I am thinking. Is there a way to sure? Thank you
Hi there
There is no real way to test this without removing the gearbox
What I find is if the vehicle doesn't lack power or hesitate but seems to missfire at idle it's the DMF
If you open the vehicles doors yiu will see them pyshically shake this is a tell tale sign in my experience of a DMF issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has been a little rattle on idle for a while, in my experience the noise of lay shaft bearings in the gearbox, put your foot on the clutch and it goes.....
There is no juddering when you pull away but could this also be a sign of the flywheel.
Hi there Andy
Ok a rattle on idle that dissapears when clutch is depressed is a sign of a DMF. Issue
From the recent descriptions we have gathererd your fault lies with a faulty dual mass flywheel as I mentioned this can seem like a cylinder down at idle but the engine still revs ok
So to resolve your issue you Will have to install a new dual mass flywheel
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian