Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My ford fitted sat nav [ comes with sd card] was working fine [ turns on by itself when i

my ford fitted sat nav [ comes with sd card] was working fine [ turns on by itself when i open the drivers door] but now its just dead. although my iphone shows"connected" to the bluetooth i cannot make or receive calls or use the radio or cd[ screen is blank] this happened about 3 months ago but then it came back on by itself 3 says later while i was pulling up into a car park!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good morning to you
On is this the Bosch 5 inch sat nav unit
Do you have your full registration number there so I can check the build dates etc
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no its a blaupunkt unit

reg; KP58 YTM

ps. this same thing happened in 2014 and mysteriously the unit came on by itself. its very annoying. its been in use daily since i bought the vehicle without any problems or updates. you open the drivers door, i hear a sort of whirring sound, the screen lights up.i can email a picture if you prefer

Hi there thanks
Ok if you can post a picture to confirm the unit as there is 3 different varients
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there thanks
Ok from memory(with there being that different varients I think that is the Bosch 5 inch display sat nav unit
Does the screen measure 5 inch diagonally
The reason Iam asking this is that Bosch are replacing these 5 inch units free of charge Untill December 2015!due to an internal RAM failure causing a symptom of being unable to switch the unit on
Your vehicle fits the build date but I need to see the part number /serial number from the side of the audio unit to clarify if it is in the build range for free replacement
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will remove and take picture of side of unit

Hi there no worries
Did you measure the screen as it must be 5inch
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its 5 inch across diagonally. going to pop over to car hifi store near me who may be able to assit me getting the unit out[ i don't have the keys] and then i can take a picture of the side, and serial number etc.

i must say i alawys had thought this sat nav was a blaupunkt

Hi there good evening to you
There Is so many different Varients of audio /sat nav units fitted to the various models
It makes it more difficult to diagnose these type of issues online
Thus I would rather check if you are entitled to a free replacement unit than you (unknowingly paying for One which isn't cheap ) as customer satisfaction is my priority
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thx for getting back to me so promptly. where would i go to get it replaced FOC?

going to bed now but will get that picture to you asap

If the unit is in the specific build date you can go to your local ford dealer and reference TSB - 15-1052
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry very busy today with relatives etc but will pop out monday and update you

Hi there good evening to you
No worries
Just reply in your own time there is no rush I will receive an email notification of your reply
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

uploaded picture of side of sat nav

regards

Is there a sticker on the top with a build date on it
You have the affected part number but need a build date from top sticker
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sticker is on 2nd picture of top

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think it says 08/09/02

Hi there sorry I didn't notice the bottom one I thought it was a duplicate
Ok good news your unit is affected by this concern where by an internal RAM issue causes it to cease switching on intermitently
The next step is you need to go to your local ford dealer and explain this issue and then
Reference TSB 15-1052 (re-issued 22nd April 2015)
Your part number = 8C1T - 18K931 - AA
build date = 2008 September 2nd
Serial number =(###) ###-####(last 7digits )
Your local ford dealer will need to submit paperwork to Bosch in order for to obtain a new unit (the forms are contained in the TSB 15-1052
I hope this information will assist you in resolving this issue
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any postive feedback / bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

update;

i have made an appointment at trust ford for next week where my sat nav unit will be examined

i took your reply above into the ford dealer but they insisted that they have to check the unit themselves

no doubt i will let you know the outcome in due course

regards

Hi there , good evening to you
No worries
If you need any further advice once you have been to ford regarding this please let me know
We can continue on this same post even after rating etc
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE