Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

2003 Fiesta 1.4TDi recent intermittent loss of speedo and/or

Customer Question

2003 Fiesta 1.4TDi recent intermittent loss of speedo and/or trip meter. Yesterday drove it home and left it for 5 minutes .Tried to start it and no power to the point where radio asked for the code ,now clicks when I try and start it but checked battery and it is fully charged ,tried jump start anyway with just clicking and all displays go out .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you
Ok did the battery light come on with the abs light (howsy times recent to the non start has this happened
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All lights came on including battery but all go off when I try to start it

Hi there thanks
Ok you speedo and trip issue (------) on dash is most commonly down to a communication issue with the Abs Module
The non start concern you have is down to the battery either not taking a charge (not being charged) or most commonly not holding a charge
The fact you switched the car off and a few minutes later it was clicking tells us that the battery is the issue
What to do is connect jump leads if you can and leave them connected to a running vehicle for 10-15 minutes to bring the voltage up
As the surface voltage may be ok ie: charger shows its ok but under load (when you attempt to crank the engine the voltage will drop to around 6 volts etc
Thus you get your click noise
From your description I would be replacing the battery and checking the charging rate once the vehicle is started which should be around 14.3 volts
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying a jump start didn't work despite waiting for 5-10 minutes and the battery charger showed fully charged so not confident that battery is problem will have to remove it and get it tested before I am confident of your diagnosis

Hi there
No worries
Have you monitored the voltage using a multimeter to see reading on crank as these diesels require a minimum of 10.6 volts to crank over
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Battery reads 12.6v at rest

What is it reading on crank (when click is heard ) as the 12.6 may just be surface voltage or false voltage as it's known
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Haven't tried that yet will try later and respond as I am out at the moment

Hi there
No worries there's no rush I will receive email notification of your reply
I would just like to rule this out as a methodical part of our diagnosis
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,after leaving it all day ,central locking didn't work, no lights on dash initially ,although fuel gauge and temp gauge came up after turning key several times .Battery read 12.4v but when key turned it dropped to 6v and slowly came back up to 12v when I removed the key .Dropped to 6v before reaching the point where the starter should have engaged

Hi there good evening to you
Ok this tells us the battery is the issue as the the voltage drops to 6 volts on crank (the 12 volts you see is false voltage ) or surface voltage
This means the battery has an internal cell issue and needs to be replaced
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I will get a new battery tomorrow and let you know how it goes cheers

Hi there no worries I look forward to your reply
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi will reply when I have received and fitted new battery ,cheers

Hi there
No worries
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ordered battery on line as I have no transport then got a message that their next day delivery is only working days ,so I won't get the battery until Monday

Hi there ,
No worries
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK fitted new battery and car started straight away , so that was a good cal from you Thankyou ,still intermittent speedo and trip meter PLUS is asking for the code for the radio and I have no idea what it is .Who would be able to tell me do you think ?

Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok that's good news that replacing the battery has confirmed my diagnostic
Ok as previously mentioned the speedo fault is most commonly down to an internal abs module issue or in rarer cases a wheel speed sensor issue
But most times it's the abs Module that loses communication with the other modules thus cannot transfers the speedo /trip information
Regarding your radio code I can give you this but will need the serial number from the audio unit
If you press 2&6 in the audio unit it should show the serial number ie: M043376
If you can post back this number I can generate your code
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I thought I would need to remove the radio to get the serial number but your method gave me M033214 cheers

Hi there thanks
Ok here is the correct radio code you requested for serial number M033214 = 1318
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,radio code worked fine thanks,only problem now is intermittent speedo function ,it goes on and off while driving and the trip meter readings sometimes stop incrementing or disappear all together then everything may start working again or not work for a few trips .The needle always gives a little kick when I start up but that is no guarantee it will function.Is there any way of establishing the problem

Hi there good morning to you
Ok the speedo fault you have is most commonly down to a loss of communications with the ABS module (internal fault ) (IF FITTED )
In each case I have seen this speedo issue the ABS module has needed replaced
The abs module picks up the signal from the wheel speed sensors and then calculates the speed
It then sends the data to the PCM. Which in turn sends it to the cluster
On some early fiestas they didn't have abs fitted the fault was caused by a faulty speed sensor on the gearbox
I can check if you have the abs system fitted if you can give me your registration number
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi reg is E55ROG was originally LR03FUW

Hi there
Ok your vehicle doesn't have ABS fitted therefore your issue lies with s faulty speed sends (this is located on the gearbox
The parts you require are
Speed sensor (ford part number -(###) ###-####- £48.91+ vat
Roll pin /clip (ford part number(###) ###-####- £1.68+ vat
After replacing this sensor drive the vehicle for 10-15 minutes as sometimes the speedo won't work straight after replacement (This is normal )
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Any postive feedback or bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK got those parts on order as everything else you've suggested has been 100% right so thanks for your info