Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Focus that when you change from first to second

Customer Question

Hi I have a Focus that when you change from first to second the rev 's stay high, any idea's.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

Can you tell me whether this is petrol/diesel and engine size please, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ross

It is a 1.8 diesel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ross

it is a 1.8 diesel

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay. this sounds like the clutch position switch may be faulty. Pressing the clutch causes the injection pump to momentarily reduce it's output to provide smoother gear changes. When this switch fails or sticks it will not recognize the clutch has been depressed and the revs will not drop as expected.The switch is a small plunger switch on the top of the clutch peddle, its worth popping it out and checking it in case it is sticking, otherwise a new switch is around 20 Pounds and takes 5 - 10 mins to replace. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help I will try what you say. and get back to you.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
No problem, kee me updated. If you need any help in the mean time feel free to reply and I will be happy to help! Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi just having a problem trying to get the switch out from under the clutch pedal, as there is not much room even with the seat back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks to Ross, for your help, I have changed the switch on the clutch, but it has not solved the problem totally, but is a lot better.
Thanks again. Steve