Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2006 1.6 Ford Focus sport. last three months

Customer Question

I have a 2006 1.6 Ford Focus sport. For the last three months it has been in and out of the garage for an electrical fault they can't seem to fix. All my warning lights come on then just the two management lights stay on. The red warning light means I lose power on changing gear. All the dials go off - speedo etc and then come back on after a few minutes. Garage seems to be at a loss to sort this. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok does the red Immobilsor light flash rapidly or mileage display show ----- when this fault occurs
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Hi there and Iam very sorry for the delayed response
ok this sheds more clarity on the cause of the issue
the cause of your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster
The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them
On everyone I have came across the cluster is the cause of the issue And from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault
This seems to be more common on the 06-08 focus Varients for some reason
The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )
The can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle
I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours
Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent
The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )
In my experience of this fault I would definitely susupected an internal cluster fault
I always carry out a network test with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester
We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component left
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback or bonuses are greatly apperciated
Brian