Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Bought a new ford kuga in March and upgraded to Sony DAB radio.

Customer Question

Bought a new ford kuga in March and upgraded to Sony DAB radio. Since we first got have had problems with radio cutting out. Been back to garage numerous times for upgrades in the software. Then was told they would replace the radio, still no change. Waited for several months for a patch to fix this and when it was finally available went in and had it done, still no improvement. Last 2 times we have driven the car it cut out 22 times and 49 times yesterday in a 2 1/2 hour journey. Some of the times it is out for over 7 minutes! Ford are now telling us that it is normal and there is no problem. We have checked the signal strength for the areas we are travelling and they are in the good range and before the kuga we had a focus and we're travelling same roads but no problem at all.
Ford customer services are saying the service department can't find anything wrong so there is nothing they can do! What can we do and where do we go from here? We are aware that there are at least 8 kugas with the same problem in the Maidstone branch since we bought ours that they have told us about. We have asked on the internet for anyone experiencing the same problems but no one seems to have it like we have. Getting to the point where we will never buy a ford again as so frustrating. Please can you help us sort this problem with the radio?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.You evidently are suffering with intermittent signal loss on the DAB side.. and this is not "unusual"... Its not right but its not unusual on the DAB..digital systems. You get the same with household systems but in some vehilces..its worse because you are moving.You have a problem here because its going to be down to FORD to come up with a FIX for this... ie - I cannot say do this / that - because at present, there is just no fix for it.I have no doubt Ford will continue to work on this - they have to.. and, I would ask at the dealer to ensure they have notified Ford UK about this... it is an ongoing issue and the more people that complain, the quicker it will be fixed. But it will be fixed in conjunction with the BBC or whoever thats supplying the DAB signals.You could look up and try in your area a specialist - there are more and more garages / centres training in the fitting / upgrade to DAB systems and over time, the same as TV , analogue is being switched off...So it will get resolved but at present its something of a wait Im sorry to say.If you have the system in your Kuga that you can switch off the DAB and use analogue, that would get you by.. I honestly dont know if you have that function or not - I mention it just in case.Going back to the thought of speaking to a specialist / installer who may be able to help - click HERE for that / for a contact. They may be able to help / offer a solution by way of a signal booster - that sort of thing - It would be worth asking them at least.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.