Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Sean. I have a 2005 Ford Focus (1.6). It has had an

Hello Sean. I have a 2005 Ford Focus (1.6). It has had an on off history of illuminating a red light on the dashboard and giving me a message of 'acceleration reduced'. I don't notice anything untoward when this message appears, but my wife says she senses a drop in pulling power. Anyway, by turning the car off and on again the message and light disappear. But after a while they come back again. I'm not sure if it is anecdotal but it seems more common in damp weather. We have tried taking it to Ford in the past but they were not successful in diagnosing it. Any thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue. This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle position sensor Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt. Sorry for the delay. I appreciate your response. I am very inexperienced at car mechanics so I will take your advice to someone more capable to help me do what you have suggested.

Many thanks.