Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Changed a chain on a transit connect 1.8tddi and 1 chain seems

Changed a chain on a transit connect 1.8tddi and 1 chain seems slightly slacker than the other but is not out a tooth?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.
Its fine if the chain is taught enough to operate correctly - and not be at risk from jumping...
The only reason a chain would be excessivly slack would be if the tensioner is not correct / faulty - so bear that in mind. If suspect, renew it...
Otherwise , it will be fine.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a new chain I have fitted but started up today and all is good runs like a dream I just wondered if there was a reason why it isn't slack enough to jump or be a tooth out and the auto tensioner doesn't take all the slack in the second chain but first chain perfect
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So long as the chain will only rise ( by manual lift or in use ) approx half way up any given tooth on the cogs, then its fine / normal.Its not unusual to be honest what you describe.The auto tensioner sounds to be doing its job - if it wasn't - it would jump off the cog for sure - so Im sure you have done it right - so long as its as above....which it sounds to be.-- I hope that helps you further -Please do click on the OK ratings if we are done.. Thank you ..Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert