Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just bought a Mondeo 2010 2.0 TDCi and it has an intermittent

Customer Question

I just bought a Mondeo 2010 2.0 TDCi and it has an intermittent starting problem. When you turn the key 2 clicks all the normal lights come on the dash but when you turn key to start its dead. No solenoid click - no turnover. After 5 or 10 minutes of constant trying and switching on and off fan and radio etc it starts. Has happened 3 times now in 4 days. Battery is fine - when it starts it starts immediately. Same problem with both keys. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. I will try the wiring checks when i get back to the car on wed and see if that works.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood good luck
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.