Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 Galaxy 2.0 litre TDCI Ghia that when you switch

I have a 2010 Galaxy 2.0 litre TDCI Ghia that when you switch the engine off groans / sounds like an elongated "fart". I am a retired ex vehicle technician not up with the latest technology but will understand what you tell me.
Can you please tell me what is making the noise, where it is located, can I repair the part or do I need to buy new or can I just leave it.
Many thanks.
Pete.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this is likely to be a leak on the air intake systemCheck the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.