Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Trouble starting my 2005 Fiesta 1.6 from cold. Fires

Trouble starting my 2005 Fiesta 1.6 from cold. Fires briefly, but no reaction when accelerator depressed. It just dies. Soemtimes a trickling noise. Took five attempts to start this a.m. Starts fine when hot.  Should also add ; get a sign 0/0 OFF alongside engine symbol.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
At the start I have to say I do not know what that O/O OFF is ... but I dont think its anything to do with a non start issue..
Too - the engine light will be on at that stage - thats normal... if its on while the engine is running - then you know you have an engine management fault.
You say the engine fires briefly - but no reaction when the pedal is pressed.. Let me narrow this down...
If the engine starts - and sounds normal.. but only runs for say 2-3 secs.. this then can be an immobiliser system fault... try your spare key in case of a transmitter issue.. just try that. If its that , it will cure it.
If not - then I don't feel its immobiliser but it could then be one of several things.. One very common issue on these is failure of the crank sensor.. when that fails you will get this issue.
Too - fuel pump/ fuel supply faults... Check the fuel cut off valve has not actuated... this is situated in the corner kick panel.. you put your finger through a hole in the panel and locate the switch head -and press it down.. If it goes down and clicks / locks - it will be that .. So try that. Should be passenger side -- but if not.. drivers.
Now - IF You dont find the fault as above - you are going to make some baskic checks - looking for to see if there is fuel coming up to the engine... and if it is..if its being injected into the cylinders.
Too- you need to check for spark at the plugs.
If there is fuel coming - that rules out fuel pump / clogged filter issues. If not - that needs checking.
If there is fuel but its not injecting AND not sparking - that then is usually a failed crank sensor..check that circuit..wiring / connections before condemning the sensor. The sensor you will see it screwed with one screw to the engine block just above the starter motor.
IF you do not sort it as above - then Im afraid you will need garage help / someone with an OBD tester to check / see to find the fault.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this.. I will be only on a little today due to other commitments but will always get back to you asap thereafter if needed.
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike - thanks for your answer. Haven't got round to trying all your suggestions yet. Had a go with the spare key and the car started on second pull - better than the five the other day. Trouble is we bought the car from a relative and can't really go back to her. Just to add to the sum of your knowledge - the sign alongside the engine symbol is O/D off, not O/O as I thought. Handbook says it means overdrive off - a small switch on the gearstick apparently. Anyway I'll press on and try to find a solution. Incidentally, some of your suggestions don't explain why the damn thing starts when warm with no probs. Can't be fuel suppl can it?

Regards, David

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there David - Thank you for your reply to my answer.As regards ***** ***** of the 2nd key - that could well be the root of your troubles - faulty first key - so stick with it, see if that cures it... using the 2nd key I mean.Re the O/O .. yes indeed -- OD makes much more sense ;) That is for the OD yes - switch on for on / off for off.. IF the light stays on whatever switch position, that indicates there is a fault in the system... You can start by checking the circuit wiring - often its just a bad connection or damaged loom -- so try that ( if you have that )... Sometimes its a faulty switch... If you cannot suss it manually - a plug in diagnostic will find the issue / root.Where you say some of my suggestions dont explain why it starts warm with no probs - thats because at this stage at least, that may not be that - if you have a key issue, it could be a total red herring... we need to rule that out ( or in)..and go from there.Being a 05 model, the car is injected ( fuel ) not carb - so if you do rule all else out, the fault there then is likley a sensor on the engine. I dont have enough exact details of the car off you to tell which - but its either a temp sensor of one type or another - any Ford parts dept ( which is where you would obtain the like ) will know off your cars reg which you would need.... I hope that all helps you further David.Again, let me know if you need anything else.At this point I do just need you to click on one of the OK / Exc ratings for me please.. Thank you again.. and again, you can get back to me any time after should you still need.Best Rgds David, MIKE.