Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a ford focus 02 1600 over heating problem I have re placed

Customer Question

I have a ford focus 02 1600 over heating problem I have re
placed the electronic sencer plus put a brand new waterpump changed the thermostatic and housing not losing any coolent Replaced the cluster clocks when you get it up to running temperature car fine when you drive about 2 miles up the road the temperature gauge starts going in to the red the fan comes
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the car doesn't loose any power pull over and where you put the coolent to is bubbling like there is an air lock soon as I turn the car off temp gauge goes back to half way top hoses are boiling bottom are cold
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloAs a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark on the tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine. ( unsure if you've done this or not)Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing. Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted) I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly. So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done everything you have said replaced all with new parts not loosing any coolent Replaced thermostat still doing the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took thermostat out just to try it without one car was fine no problem put new thermostat back in started to over heat again
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok in that case its likley that one of the smaller hoses is blocked and not flowing as it should , I'd suggest using compressed air to blow through the small hoses and check it all flows freely back to the header tank as this sounds like trapped air to me
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.