Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a ford focus 02 1600 zetec that has a over heating

Customer Question

I have a ford focus 02 1600 zetec that has a over heating problem when you start it up to normal tempt drive down the road goes straight into the red and the warning light comes on fan works I have replaced water pump cluster clocks thermostat it's not
loosing any coolent
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been flushed all through the system the top hoses are boiling and bottom hose cool I have had a new sensor fitted oils not milky also the garage took the thermostatic out and car was not overheating put it back in back to over heating
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello its sounding like that there's a major air lock to meso check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while itsoff check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok don't understand brand new belt put on will try what you said thanks for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a ford focus still over heating tried everything I was told by ford mechanic on Web site water still not circulating bottom hose cold blew small hoses to radiator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back into header tank bubbling but nor hot temperature gauge still reads normal on a ford focus 02 new waterpump changed the thermostatic not a ford one even changed cluster clocks oil not creamy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the head gasket don't know where to go from here
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if its bubbling back into the header tank then yes a head gasket is quite likely

The thing to try is ahead gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html