Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

L have a ford focus 02 still over heating tried everything I

l have a ford focus 02 still over heating tried everything I was told by ford mechanic on Web site still water still not circulating bottom hose cold blew air line through small hoses back into header tank bubbling in header tank but water not boiling
hot changed waterpump the thermostatic was not a ford one could it be head gasket not loosing coolent and oil not creamy don't know where to go from here
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening you Ok does the vehicle boil over (water coming out coolant bottle ) if left to idle if so how does it take to do this Also if this is the case does it overheat then fan kicks in Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After abut 2 miles up the road yes goes in and out red and fan comes on
How long does it take to boil over if left to idle
Do you know what temperature it overheats at
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't boil over when left idle the temperature gauge goes into normal only when you drive it it does the gauge goes in red and bubble in the header tank bloody hot
Hi there
Have you tried running it with the thermostat removed
Also has the coolant resivoir cap been replaced as this be caused when the coolant isn't being pressurised it will over heat
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We removed the thermostatic and car was fine drove 25 miles the temperature gauge didn't move put a new thermostat in didn't get a ford one that is what we were going to buy next no it hasn't been replaced do you think it's the head gasket
Hi there thanks ***** don't suspect a head gasket issue here your description is that of a jammed thermostat and the fact it doesn't overheat when removed would point to this
I would advise fitting a genuine ford thermostat and retesting the system as I have seen issues with non -manufacturing thermostats causing issues ie: don't open at the correct temperature
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help I have just spoken to my mate he said it does boil when it's in idle there was bubbles going back into header tank but temperature gauge is normal this only happens when we drive the car
Hi there
Ok if there is visually bubbles at idle going back into the header tank can be signs of combustion gases from the engine entering the Coolant system this is usally combined by coolant level drop
I always advise carrying out a sniffer test on the coolant bottle to check for combustion gases in the coolant which can indicate a possible head gasket issue this why I asked if it overheats at idle
Also the coolant resivoir cap is something that is easily overlooked as an overheating cause as if faulty the system doesn't pressurise causing the standing coolant to boil around 105 degrees
Thus why monitoring the temperature at idle and Monitor when it starts to bubble up
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it still worth putting in new thermostat or will it be a waste of time ordered a new cap online my friend said you can get something to seal a head gasket if that is the problem is that true
Hi there
Ok I would still replace thermostat as cheaper imitation have been known to open at the incorrect temperature
So I always advise fitting genuine thermostats as they are essential to the cooling system operation
The cap should be inspected every 3-4 years for any type of seal distortion as you would be amazed how many overheating issues I have resolved by fitting caps
I wouldn't advise any of these head gasket sealers if there is combustion gases in the coolant (sniffer would show yellow fluid ) when tested turn the head should be removed and inspected
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your knowledge no more now than I did an hour ago my friend said it can be very expensive to get the head gasket done I don't know if he is right or not hope not been a brilliant car
Hi there thanks Yes it can end up quite expensive as it's basically a major engine strip down thus the parts and labour can quickly add up If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian