Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 02 plate Mondeo diesel estate has cut out. Engine dead.

My 02 plate Mondeo diesel estate has cut out. Engine dead. No warning lights came on. Lost all power to brakes, steering etc. No smoke from exhaust or anywhere else. DID NOT go into limp home mode. Started on the key first time, went 10 feet then died again!!
No warning lights stay on after start up either.
Steve.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car has done 200000 miles and is regularly serviced. No other faults either mechanical or electrical over the last 5 years. No major parts have been replaced in those 5 years either (i.e. clutch etc).
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say that this sounds like a lack of fuel to me so I'd 1st consider fittinga new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this whenits cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.and it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filterhousing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking theengine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air fromthe injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured bychecking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairingany you find.If you daub eachpipe joint with heavy grease and theissue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight theproblem joint