Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 58 plate ford focus 1.6tdci estate manual. I turn

Customer Question

Hi i have a 58 plate ford focus 1.6tdci estate manual. I turn the ignition key on and the display sais transmission malfunction and beeps the immobiliser light flashes rapidly. So no start condition, i also cannot communicate with the ecu via the diagnostic port? Regards Rich
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Richard good evening to you
Ok I assume the Immobilsor light is flashing rapidly flash code 16
How did this fault occur ie :out of the blue or was the vehicle jump started etc
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it was shortly after the ecu was remapped. For some reason i cannot connect to the ecu through the obd socket (no communication with ecu), even if the immobilser has kicked in for whatever reason i should still be able to connect to the ecu?? What is the transmission malfunction?thanks Rich
Hi rich ,good evening to you
Ok the transmission malfunction comes up as well as other messages such as engine systems fault. Or reduced acceleration when there is a CAN Bus concern (loss of communications between the PCM and cluster
Can you check the resistance between pins 6&14 of the diagnostic connector (dlc port ) these sit up and down to each other )with ignition. Off for at least a minute or so you should have 60 ohms across these 2 pins
If you need publication let me know (a tip is using pin 16 and count back as pin 16 is a constant 12 volts )
Can you put the ignition on and check if you have voltage at both sides of fuses 9, 34 ,35 and 36 in the battery junction fuse box
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks brian could you please show publication on these please ?thanks Rich

Hi there I have attached the image of the dlc port and high speed pin locations These pins 6&14 join the PCM and cluster together and carry data in order for the modules to talk to each other You should have 60 ohms across 6&14 and also check the voltage at the fuses I mentioned Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ok thanks i shall test 1st thing in the morning and report my findings. thanks rich

No worries rich I look forward to your reply Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi i have checked the dlc pins and both have 60.5 ohms resistance. I have voltage both sides of fuses 9,34,35 and 36.

The car flashes 1-6 on dash after a minute

Which is faulty link between pats and ecu module??

Thankyou Rich

Hi there rich
Ok if you have 60 ohms at 6&14 this tells us the can lines are intact
If you have power to fuses 34,35&36 this indicates the power had relay is being earthed by the PCM to then secondary power up the PCM
The next test is to check the Feeds and grounds at the PCM as if these are ok you will be looking at a fault internal of the PCM
As basically you cannot talk to the PCM
If all powers and grounds and can bus are intact then the PCM is faulty
I can give you a diagram /information of the system to test at the PCM
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi brian ,if you could please that would be great. thanks Rich

Hi rich do you have the Registration number there incase there is any differences in pin location etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes NG58 KYD. thanks

Hi rich Ok I have attached the wiring diagram to assist you in checking feeds /earths and can lines Ok the PCM feeds are at pins E1 , G1 , M2 & M4 The PCM earths are at pins G4 , H1 & H4 The high speed can bus lines are at pins A3 (blue/red ) & A4 (grey /red ) You should have Round 2.4 volts on each of these to ground and 60 ohms across them with ignition off and PCM connected I advise checking the feeds and grounds with plugs CONNECTED as this loads the wiring upDoing it with plugs dissconected can give false readings If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Rich please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian
Image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your help everything checks out as should above. Is it poss that the can network could of been corrupted at the dash or bsi unit? During the ecu flash? Thanks Rich

Hi rich
Ok in most cases the cluster causes this no crank concern flash code 16 but you can should still be able to talk to the PCM with a faulty cluster
On rare occasions the cluster spikes the can lines but this should show 0.00 ohms at 6&14 if this was the case
The fact the PCM is earthing the PCM relay indicates the cluster is sending the correct information to the PCM
The only other thing iwoukd advise you to try which rules a possible cluster interference issue on the can lines is to disconnect the cluster and attempt to talk to the PCM
If the PCM still wont communicate then your looking at an internal fault inside the PCM
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It looks like i have a bad pcm. Ive had a look at getting hold of another ecu i can match the bosch hardware number: 0281 015 242 but on the software number the last letter is different: original 8m51-12a650-xc and the new one is: 8m51-12a650-xa. Can ford reprogram this ecu to be used? Thanks in advance Rich

Hi there rich good evening to you

Ok yes ford can use the ids software to programme this module as it will be took to the latest level software anyway when programming occurs
I can cross reference these numbers if you wish but if it is from the sane Varient it will be fine

The new PCM will need to be programmed and paired to the Immobilsor system

Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening

Brian