Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a Ford Focus TDCI 2010 diesel. The past 2 days the

I have a Ford Focus TDCI 2010 diesel. The past 2 days the dashboard illumination light has not gone off as it should after a few minutes of switching off the engine. It's staying on all the time, why is this?
Diane
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Diane ,good evening to you Ok just to note the cluster can stay illuminated for up to 45 minutes (this is normal ) If it is still alive after ie1-2 hours then there is a concern Ok the instrument cluster is a part of a complex network and is being kept illuminated (awake ) due to the high speed or mid speed CAN. Bus being active The CAN bus (Controller Area Network )is a 2 wire data transfer system that allows modules to talk to each other (transmit data ) There are two CAN. System on your vehicke the high speed and mid speed The cluster is the gateway between these high and Mid speed CAN bus Ok to diagnose this fault you need to open the bonnet and both front doors (close all The latches using a screwdriver ) )leaving the 2. Doors and bonnet open ) Dissconnect 1 cable off the battery and connect an ammeter in line And them lock the vehicle up Leave the vehicle for around 45 mins -1hour And check to see if there is any drain (max 0.05amps)There will be if cluster is alive leave the ammeter connected and using a volt meter measure the voltage at pins 3 ,11,6,14 of the diagnostic plug to the right of the steering wheel all seperately to ground Pins 3&11 is the mid speed CAN. Lines and 6&14 Is the high speed CAN lines Normal cmCAN operating voltage is between 2.2volts and 2.6 volts this voltage tells you that data is being transferd between modules along the CAN lines If you have voltage at pins 3&11 then you know the mid speed can is alive due to a midule connected on the mid speed system Again if 6&14 have voltage the high speed CAN is alive Depending in these readings mid speed or high speed You need to dissconnect 1 module at a time from the affected circuit while measuring the voltage at The diagnostic plug with multimeter till the voltage dissapears Common faults are Bluetooth Module issues or interval cluster issues If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer but it sounds like it's way too complicated for me. I don't have the skills or the knowledge to do that. Thank you anyway, I'll call the garage tomorrow.
Hi Diane the system is very complex to diagnose If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Diane going forward or clarification after the garage. Has advised the issue please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening Brian