Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

IOwn a Smax 1.8 tdci 2006 with a gearbox issue. The gearbox

IOwn a Smax 1.8 tdci 2006 with a gearbox issue. The gearbox code is 6G9R-7002-TE. I am trying to source a replacement gearbox and was wondering if the code has to be exactly the same or are there any other compatible gearboxes that will fit my car. thanks, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Dave ,good morning to you
Ok do you have the vehicle registration number so I can check the exact setup
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes Sorry m8, it's EF56 OKX. Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave thanks
Ok your vehicle is fitted with the MMT6 (6speed gearbox )
This is also fitted to Mondeo /galaxy and kuga on the 1.8/2.0/2.2tdci Variants
Don't worry about the gearbox code as the MMT6 gearboxes are the same in each Varient
the gearbox you require is the MMT 6 gearbox
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Dave please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already have that info m8 but after speaking to ford uk they said the gearbox code refers to the ratios and clutch variants and the clutch was only replaced 5000 miles ago so I wanted to swap for one which is compatible. Thanks Dave.
Hi Dave Ok ok the gear ratio changes are minor in regard to the 1.8-2.0tdci If you get a MMT 6 gearbox from either a Mondeo /smax or Galaxy fitted with the 1.8 tdci the gear ratio will be identical As the MMT 6 box is used across this range In each case when I have stripped one of these they are identical Kind Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok m8, he also said that the MMT6 only refers to the actual gearbox and that the code also refers to the bell housing shape and the position of the starter motor etc. I don't know a lot about the gearbox and have been receiving lots of conflicting info from mechanics, some saying any will fit and others saying that it has to be exact, hence the query. Thanks again Dave
Hi there Dave Ok to be get the absolute identical gearbox /ratioyou would need to ensure the the MMT box came out either an smax/Galaxy or Mondeo fitted with the 1.8tdci If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward please let me know If you have been satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian