Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My daughters Fiesta ( 07 plate 1.6 diesel) suffered from a

Customer Question

My daughters Fiesta ( 07 plate 1.6 diesel) suffered from a flat battery due to her satnav remaining plugged in. She tried to jumpstart the car without success and then charged the battery. The car will not start -the ignition seems to work but the starter does not respond to turning the key. I have checked the immobiliser and no codes appear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok does the red immobildor(padlock ) light flash rapidly when you put the ignition on
It should go sud for 3 seconds then go out
has a fault code check been carried out on the PCM if so what codes were logged
Regards Brian
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The immobiliser light flashes normally , turns red when the ignition is switched on and almost immediately, switches off. It does not come on again- I waited some minutes

Hi there
what happens to the ignition lights when you turn the key to crank
Has the voltage been measured across the battety when attempting to start the vehicle
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no response to turning the key to try to crank the engine. I understand when first attempted a clicking noise was heard but total silence is the current case. When I turn the key the small dashboard screen goes blank but since its not my car I don't know if that's normal.

The battery has evidently been completely flat since its lost its radio key code. It does seem OK currently.

Are there any fuses/relays that might have blown due to jump start attempt?

Hi there thanks
Ok this is a tell tale sign of excessivly low battery voltage
In some cases the battery gets so flat it will then not take a charge and should
This is why I always check the voltage across the battery then at crank as you will find the voltage on crank will drop around 6 volts thus indicating the battery is unserviceable and should be replaced
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try a new battery but do not see how I can test the battery voltage when the relay does not seem to engage. Also this does not explain why a jump would not work.

I will keep you posted

Hi there , good evening to you
I always advise checking the battery voltage on crank as you say the display goes blank on crank this would indicate an excessivly low battery voltage
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I suspected the battery is not the problem. I have swapped for another which worked fine in it's previous position.

I am increasingly of the opinion that either the starter motor relay or the EU has failed.

Perhaps you might offer some more advice on how to test for failure here or propose another possible cxause

Hi there good afternoon to you
Do you still require further advice on this non start issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far your advice has been pretty poor. I've had more informed advice from my local, non ford garage.

Based on current performance I will have no hesitation n requesting a refund.