Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Ford Cmax manual, on a 58 plate. When I turn sharp

Customer Question

I have a Ford Cmax manual, on a 58 plate. When I turn sharp left or right there is a very loud bang/klunk from the rear as if something was rolling around and hitting the side of the vehicle. Nothing is loose in the boot or under the boot mat. What could be causing this?
Helen
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Helen I'd say the 1st thing to check is the condition of the rear anti-roll bar links to do this you have to jack the car up so both wheels are off the ground and then undo 1 of the links and feel for any slack in the links and roll bar mounts and replace parts that feel looseif there's no slack then the next thing to check is the condition of the strut top mounts To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing