Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

If I put 47litres of petrol in a diesel Galaxy containing 20

Customer Question

If I put 47litres of petrol in a diesel Galaxy containing 20 litres of diesel already, how far could I expect to drive before seeing a problem? An issue occured 24hrs after fuelling and after 30 miles of driving? I am not convinced that is possible.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hello I'm sorry to say that its very likely that the fuel pump and / or the injectors will have been damaged as you shouldn't drive it more than 5 to 10 miles, with this sort of thing you can get away with about 15% mix of petrol in diesel as petrol is very damaging to the pump seals as it drys them out as the next step I'd drain the tank completly and refill with fresh diesel and also apply a fuel treatment to add some lubrication to the pumphttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-67611-millers-oils-diesel-power-ecomax-fuel-treatment-500ml.aspx?utm_source=ProductSearch&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase_ProductsFeed&utm_content=67611&gclid=CLHZro6H2sUCFSXlwgodGFsARQ sorry its not better news but keep an eye out for a lack of power in the future, if you feel the engine no longer pulls as it should then I'd get the pump pressure measured
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.