Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mike, my transit loses power every now and then usually

Customer Question

Hi Mike, my transit loses power every now and then usually when I have been driving in a high gear and then slow down at a junction and put it in first gear the coil light comes on and it loses power even when I put my foot down it only goes about 5mph. If I turn the engine off and on again the problem is gone. I have a 2003 Ford Transit any idea what this could be? Thanks Dan
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - This is MIKE as requested- Im sorry I have been off for a time..With this issue - the glow plug light acts as a systems fault light - so the PCM ( computer is detecting a fault and putting the fault light on.. and then too - you are in Limp Mode.Again - the fault is somewhere in the engine management systems / under the bonnet - This could be a sensor fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.What you will need to do now is have the cars systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the cars ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s)...Once these are retrieved - then you / the user - will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared. ( Some cars you need to have the ecu cleared with the diagnostic equipment ) ...So try that -its worth a try... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted. Not always, but sometimes, the engine will hold back lacking power when this light is on - If you have this happening, this will be because of one of two reasons.... either its because of the actual fault in itself - or, the ecu has put the systems into whats called LHM - Limp Home Mode... this is a basic running mode -(default settings) to allow you to get home (or a garage ) rather than break down -- and this protects the systems - so that you cannot rev it above a certain range whilst the fault exists...But again - the way forward on this is as above on this one now.Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike thanks for that. I have been and had the vehicle diagnosed and it received these codes -
P1576 Pedal Position not available
P1342 Pedal Demand sensor "A" Circuit range or performance
P1343 Pedal Demand sensor "B" Circuit range or performance
The garage suggested changing the throttle pedal and said that would fix the problem is that correct?