Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2005 Ford C-Max 2L Ghia. The radio packed up and I

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford C-Max 2L Ghia. The radio packed up and I replaced it with a Sony unit. Ever since on a periodic basis the car alarm goes off early morning, the code saying 'someone is trying to steal the radio'. There is no pattern with the frequency of false alarms - sometimes several nights in a row, sometimes a gap of a few weeks.
Any ideas?
Tony
P.S. Obviously I've tried my garage but no solution yet.
P.P.S. The last time was after a long trip from Devon to Yorkshire. It hadn't gone off for several weeks of local driving. I drove 180 miles and it went off two mornings in a row. Anything to do with battery?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there tony ,good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok the audio system fitted to your original unit has an anti theft signal to the Gem module (alarm control module )
As you have swapped units to the Sony unit the fault can lie with a few things
1,did you have the audio unit programmed (vin coded to the vehicle using ids ) as this can cause this type of issue
2,the pin out in the Sony unit may be different from the original unit
But I would be assuring the audio unit is programmed (vin matched to the vehicles modules before continuing )
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Tony going forward please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Brian,

Thank you very much for this which I can pass on to my garage. Could you please clarify - In 1, when you say this can cause this type of issue, did you mean having the audio unit programmed or NOT having it programmed?

Tony

Hi tony ,good evening to you
Ok I would advise having the audio unit vin codes to the vehicle as it is connected to the gem module anti theft system
In each case I have seen m in different units where by they display theft etc it has been because it needs programmed in
This would be my first port of call to try and resolve your issue
I had a look at the wiring diagrams today but they are very vauge and if needed we can delve deeper into this
kubd regards ***** *****
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

It seems that as my Sony is not a Ford unit it can't be VIN coded to the Gem. However, the local Ford garage still says that this shouldn't cause the alarm to go off. My garage is currently looking at doing something with the wire that used to connect the original audio unit with the Gem.

Tony