Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2008 ford transit 140, I'm having reduced power

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2008 ford transit 140, I'm having reduced power at around 2500rpm, as if all the boost is suddenly gone, also a loud whistle/whoosh sound mainly in 1st, I was told it's a leak in an inlet pipe, I've checked and there is nothing and the pipes get to pressure where I can't even squeeze them so I can't see there being a leak?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok from your description I would definitely suspect a split in the intercooler system /hose which is a common occurance on transit abc is something we see on a daily /weekly basis
The hoses won't deflate when there is a split you just get low boost and a whooshing rush of air noise
The best ways test these is have done Rev the engine from idle to bring the turbo in and then again and again
Then using your fingers feel round the hoses as the leak is usally a small tear /slit in one of the hoses on the underside
Also check the intercooler itself for any damage or leaks from the welds
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian