Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford c-max 2.0 tdci auto. under hard acceleration engine dies man light on and anti sk

Customer Question

Ford c-max 2.0 tdci auto. under hard acceleration engine dies man light on and anti skid light comes on
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FAULT CODES P1168 AND 1169 APPEAR I THEN CLEAR THEN AND CODES SAYING MAJOR FUEL LEAK AND MINOR FUEL LEAK APPEAR
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ABS FAULT CODE IS U0401 , REQUESTED FUEL PRESSURE 174 MPA, ACTUAL PRESSURE ON SCAN TOOL IS 19 MPA
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello replacing the fuel filter is a good start and if that hasn't helped then I'd say the next step is to replace the fuel pressure sensor and check the wiring and conection to that sensor for damage and corrosion if this doesn't help then its time to get a pressure gauge onto the fuel rail and see what the pump is really delivering as if it is low then the main pump or the lift pump is faulty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that but I am more concerned it is a fault within gearbox as when the fault occurs the ESP light comes on with U0401 code present, the pressure is as stated by the FRP sensor
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK if the fuel pressure as measured by the sensor is genuine then it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find. as for the ESP fault then that code means the code is invalid or missing information from the PCM / ECU so i'd next check the state of the ECU power relay and fuses for any corrosion or cracks and replace as required
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that wise to do that the pump generates massive pressure
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Your're right to be wary of the amount of pressure, however just on cranking its only about 10% of the full pressure and when you crack off the injector unions you cover the nut with some rag to catch any built up fuel, after the initial leakage you only get a dribble on crankingso with a little care there's no need to worry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have done all this I have done an injector leak back test and all ok, i have ran a separate fuel supply to filter no change, no air in system, even the dealer are scratching heads, im at the point where i am going to have too replace parts was gona start with injector rail, i was told by another well respected garage that they had similar issue and it was rail that had broken inside they said there was a form of damper in the rail that was causing and issue with FRP sensor ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello thanks for the extra information a broken fuel damper is possible and can obstruct the pressure sensor so yes it would be worth removing the pressure sensor and feed pipe to the rail and peering inside to ensure its all clear - perhaps remove it entirely and flush it clean to ensure no parts of damper are left behind - also inspect the injector intake holes for debrisFord call the part a 'pulse damper'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS DOES MAKE SENSE AS THE PRESSURE DOES PULSE ON THE READING OFF THE FRP
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK try a new damper on there, after cleaning out the rail