Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Question to Gallagher99 I am the C-Max owner with the false

Customer Question

Question to Gallagher99
I am the C-Max owner with the false alarm problem linked to the replacement radio who raised a previous question back in October.
Hi Brian,
It seems that as my Sony is not a Ford unit it can't be VIN coded to the Gem. However, the local Ford garage still says that this shouldn't cause the alarm to go off. My garage then:
1) Disconnected the Parrot Bluetooth. Alarm went off.
2) Took the radio out entirely. No alarm.
3) Reconnected the radio but disconnected the steering wheel controls. Alarm went off.
Can you suggest a next step? Is there a wire that goes from the radio to the alarm? Can something be done with this to fool the alarm into thinking its a Ford radio?
Tony
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Im sorry to see you have not received any response to your question - this can be for various reasons.Im happy to help / advise... Looking at what you have said I can only think of a couple of reasons for the alarm to be sounding off as you outline.. Evidently you have replaced the Ford unit with a non OEM unit.. and this appears to be casuing you issues there.Its important that when a non OE set is fitted, a suitable connector KIT is used - to connect the radio to the cars loom. ALSO - for those with steering controls for the radio - a proper kit / loom is used / fitted also - specifically for the set you use - and the car its gone into.Voltage drop issues are the usual cause of an alarm to sound like this - but incorrect wiring too will do it.. So check that out as above to be sure. If the proper loom kits have not been used- fitting them ( available from good car audio shops) should cure this for you.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mike,

Will pass this to my garage and get back to you. The car's in there now.

Tony

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your'e very welcome Tony - I hope it all works out for you.You know where I am if there is ever anything else..Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Garage had checked connections and confirmed both were correct (radio and steering) so today they temporarily replaced the radio with another make so I can try that for a while. Fingers crossed.

Tony

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok - thanks for letting me know Tony - That will be interesting.. It could be then that there is a fault with the radio you had on there- -- Rgds. MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike,

The radio/CD put in by the garage was a JVC. Not DAB but has not triggered an alarm yet.

You suggest that the problem might be the Sony radio/CD and, after a month, I have decided to go ahead and replace it. Is there a particular make that is likely to make a more reliable connection or is it irrelevant? Might DAB be complicating the situation?

Tony