Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a Ford Focus 2004 1.8L TDCI model The problem

I own a Ford Focus 2004 1.8L TDCI model
The problem is that it cranks tries to start at first crank but stops. Afterwards it cranks but no sign of starting. I cracked one of the injector pipes at the manifold and cranked the engine once again, it seems like there no flow as fuel seeps out in small volume.
What do you suggest I check next?
Fuel filter clogged?
Diesel pump?
Your help is appreciated
Thanks Darren
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd certainly replace the fuel filer as the next step as it only has to be a little bit clogged to make starting difficult it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filterhousing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem join
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThis engine 18 tdci is self bleeding and the filter does not have a hand pump. When cracking the fuel injectors, how much flow of fuel should I expect ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello thanks for the extra informationwhen cracking off the injectors you're just after a steady stream of fuel, so if there's no air you'll get enough to make the rag you're holding the injector with wet within a few seconds