Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Connect van . No accelerator when cold.

Customer Question

Connect van . No accelerator when cold.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
connect van 2007 . no accelerator when its cold . engine starts and idles. if left idling 10mns it resets and works . if the temperature outside is about 5c or higher it works every time.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st consider fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.and it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The day is up ? Can we please have an answer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello have you tried any of my previous suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
replaced the fuel filter and repaired a leak to injector , but the temperature has been higher so wont know until the next frost ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understoodBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.