Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2006 ford focus 2.0i over fuelling and won't start.has a good

Customer Question

2006 ford focus 2.0i over fuelling and won't start.has a good spark
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello If the car is running so rich it won't start I 'd 1st try disconnecting the engine coolant sensor as this has a strong effect on the fuel mixture control, and disconnecting it will force it to revert a normal 'warm' engine level if this doesn't then help I'd check over the fuel injector wiring for any damage as if its shorted out you can have an injector or 2 that's on all the time and so flooding your engine - possibly try disconnecting an injector 1 at a time and see if then starts up on 3 cylinders?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have disconnected the temp sensor,still same.put a test light on injector and it pulses a few times and then stops pulsing.ie no illumination of light! Am going to dry the plugs and try again.any ideas????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have checked the resistance on cam and crank sensor,both about 430ohms so ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same!
Have also noticed that when you partially open the throttle while cranking that it pops a bit through the throttle body,ie intake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK if its popping back through the intake then its likely to been injecting at the wrong time or injecting all the timeso I'd check which of the injectors is clicking or if you have a test light check them all and like I previous mentioned try disconnecting the injectors 1 at a time to see if this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said previously,also the injectors pulse for a few seconds and stop while cranking.have disconnected knock sensor and no difference.also have checked valve timing and found both cams are out a couple of degrees,but not enough in my opinion to cause the problem.
What are your views on this?why would the injectors only pulse a few times and then stop pulsing?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello OK in that case if the injectors aren't pulsing continously then it won't start? and then can't be overfuelling ? so for the injectors are only pulsing for a short while then I don't think its coming out of cranking mode as when the engine starts up its meant to switch from a long pulse to a short timed pulse once the engine is running I'd suggest disconnecting the cam sensor as this force the ECU into using a simpler timing method
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried disconnecting the cam sensor already and it makes no difference,could it be an ecu fault?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloOK yes in that case it could be an ECU issue I can reccommend both of these firms for test and repair services for your existing ECU http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/ http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also,there is one other thing I forgot to mention!its got one of those keyless start systems on it!could there be a problem with that?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello if its cranking and all the dash is lit up then its unlikely to be an issue with the keyless start