Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Yes Please! I have a Ford Transit Van LD11 XNR 2.2 TDci. Since fittin

Yes Please! I have a Ford Transit Van LD11 XNR 2.2 TDci. Since fitting rear caliper I am getting excessive brake pedal travel.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've also fitted a master cylinder, servo, front flexi hose to try and eliminate the problem but no joy. Also fitted new front caliper
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Will you be getting back to me soon. I am using your site because I have a deadline to meet which will make or break ongoing business with this customer. Thank you.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd 1st double check all the unions for tightness on all the joints. Also I'd use a pressure bleeder such as Easibleed to push fluid through to each corner first then use the two person method below to bleed the brakes.I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.Repeat this a few times on all calipers and start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder. also as you have replaced the master is quite possible there's air in the ABS unit and the only way to get it out is to run the ABS , this is done at the dealer to run the pump remotely, however I've had good success in just driving the vehicle and hitting the brake pedal hard enough to get the ABS to fire off and then re-bleed the system If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry! Thought your answer was final and payment had been taken. The reply you gave was correct, as we had already done everything you gave in your answer. We asked you the question because we had exhausted all other avenues and need some fresh insight into the matter. The pedal is still spongy, though when we clamp off the front offside, brakes are fine ... we have already changed caliper and flexi hose on the offiside. If there's anything you can think of that might help we would really appreciate your input.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello have you tried the running of the ABS as I've suggested? also on some models there's brake proportioning valve to help prevent the rear wheels locking up when there's no load in the vanthese are located in front of the rear axle , under the van and can sometimes 'stick' in position so if there's 1 fitted I'd remove it and clean it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This model does not have brake proportioning valve fitted.When we us a brake flexi hose clamp on the front offside flexi hose we get a perfect pedal. We assumed this meant the problem was with the offside caliper. This has been replaced with new and bled several times. The pads are new ... the discs are good. When the flexi hose is released we lose pedal?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello OK new pads on old discs will take a few miles to bed in and can produce a soft pedal too I'd suggest taking it for a short drive and gently apply the brakes during the drive, keep the window open so you can smell any overheating and gradually build up the brake pedal pressure over about 5 miles or so - leave time in between each application for the pad to cool down before trying again