Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

There, I have a ford transit connect van and when in

Customer Question

Hello there, I have a ford transit connect van and when in second or forth gear it will jump out when at lows revs Or at low revs and hitting a pot hole or speed bump. When accelerating it will hold in all gears perfectly regardless of road surface. It's worth also mentioning the gears will engage no problems at all. What do you think new gearbox
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nobody has replied yet??RegardsTom
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Apologies for the delay getting to your question! Unfortunately there is a possibility for this being the gearbox it's self but as you mentioned it is jumping out of gear over bumps rather than on acceleration/deceleration could also indicate another causes.Ideally the van will need to be raised on a lift to carry out an inspection of the under side. Worn engine mounts (rear stabiliser most commonly) Can wear, this results in excessive swinging or the engine jumping on the mounts. Often this is enough to pull on the gear selector mechanism and allow it to pop out of gear. I would advise starting with checking the engine mounts.Next would be to inspect the gear selector, rods and joints for any obvious problems, I have seen a connection rod which links the gear selector to the gearbox bend in the past which has caused the gears to jump out as excessive force is put on the selector which is usually quite obvious when examining the selector rods.Finally would be the gearbox it's self. The gears are held in place using detent springs, if these wear or the selector arm is worn in the gearbox it can cause jumping out, the classic sign of this is jumping out when accelerating or decelerating (or both) so in your case I would certain check the other possibilities mentioned before condemning the gearbox.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.