Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 62 plateFord Transit with only 40k. The battery light has been coming on/off. The

I have a 62 plateFord Transit with only 40k. The battery light has been coming on/off. The other day i was unable to start without a jump start. Im getting 12.5v reading from battery and then 11.4v when running. This seems to be intermittent as it rectified with battery reading 12.7v and 14.5v running, then light comes on and readings are low again.
Problem is I can seem to find an auto electrician locally who is able to take a look until new year.
Your advice is very welcome.
Kevin
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagnostics show fault code P1632 Smart alternator fault, sensor circuit malfunction
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Kevin good afternoon to you Ok this fault is caused by the alternator This seems to becoming a very common issue in the transit as I have changed many of these for this fault My personal opinion is the location of the alternator(drivers lower front of the engine bay ) is prone to excessive moistureWhich I believe contributes to the mass of alternators we are changing of late If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Kevin please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day and a merry Christmas Any postive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciated Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,Thanks for your answer.Is there a test I can do to check it is the alternator 100% and not a wiring or smart charge issue? I read on other posts that the alternator has been replaced and the fault is still present. Considering the cost of a new alternator I'd like to be sure!CheersKevin
Hi Kevin Ok does your alternator only have 1 thin wire on the multiplug attached to the alternator
Or is it a 2 pin /wire multiplug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've included a photo that I took when trying to take the multi plug off. Inside it had two connectors and I believe 2 wires. I'm out at no so can't check
Hi Kevin
Ok most have the 2 pin setup where by Some have one wire (Lin bus system )
Looking through the diagrams yours will have a 2 wire smart charge setup
The only way to monitor the command from the alternator and return signal from PCM is by using an osilliscope to monitor the signals
I use the VSS (speed signal ) setting to monitor these signals but in most cases we see with these issues it's the alternator
Is this a FWD OR RWD
kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,The model is:
Ford Transit 125 T280 Trend FWD (Grey, 2012)Regards
Kevin
Hi Kevin thanks
Ok front wheel drive transits don't suffer from the wiring issues the rear wheel drives do as the alternator loom Chaffs behind the alternator about 4-5 inches from multiplug the front wheel drive issues are always the alternator and the only tests are continuity and osiilscope tests on the smart charge system
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,Thank for your help and advice, I'm happy to rate you highly.One last thing, my van is just 3 months out of manufacturers warranty, given the low mileage do you think Ford will help in anyway if I make a pest of myself!Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you.Regards
Kevin
Hi Kevin good evening to you
Ok you could push your case by contacting them from personal experience if you complain hard enough you may receive some goodwill as you've only fine 40k
They wouldn't pay the full amount as its out of warranty but a good will gesture would be possible so I would advise contacting them
You would need to contact ford CRC (customer relations care ) to ask the question and pursue this further
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Kevin please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening and a merry Christmas
Any postive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE