Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have ford transit 07 Battery went flat Had it fully charged Started

Have ford transit 07
Battery went flat
Had it fully charged
Started third attempt
No heater plug light sometimes
Broken spanner light
Ran for 5 minutes then cut out
Now won't start,just click
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
If the van's not cranking then first check it's engine can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.
There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections
This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing
Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V
also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables
one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off
If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Matt .thanks for reply
When ignition is turned on relevant lights come on ,heater plug light reluctant,after two seconds lights go off,but oil light stays on,did not rev engine,but starter does go hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,tried starting vehicle this morning,no joy,tried this evening,did start reluctantly,ran for few seconds,tried revving a little,cut out,any ideas?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Have tried charging the battery up yet ? as if the ECU has little or low power then it will cut out as you describeAlso check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a batteryvoltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK ,thanks for reply,have no voltage tester,will try jumping off a running car tomorrow,is it safe to connect jump leads onto the van battery?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello thats fine - just double check the polarity is correct as if its wrong you'll' fry the ECU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Matt,have put a new starter motor on today,had jump leads off Peugeot bipper,sometimes had clicking ,cranked over but not good enough to fire,
When I turn the key to on position heater plugs light late illuminating if at all,after couple of seconds the ignition lights go off,also while cranking the headlight comes on,could it be ignition switch,it seems to me like something draining?look forward. to hearing from you,regards
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloOk next thing to try is the voltage drop test , so you'll need a voltmeter -these are pretty cheapand you can find them for as little as £10http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-domestic-multimeter-including-battery-bulb-and-fuse-tester-n20ax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah yes,recently van had been stood for a while,so gave her a 40 mile run some clocks and gauges went off and radio only worked when engine was off
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
if things improve after giving the van a run then this is very likely a battery drain issue
hence a battery voltage test as I've suggested should be the next step
check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.
A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.
Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..
Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.
if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt,had my friend to jump start the van,did start ran OK for a few minutes no visible issues,then a low sqeel and stopped,then no start ,tried turning crankshaft pulley ,would not move,
Would be very grateful for reply
Andy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Oooh that sounds badif you put the van in gear and push it does the engine turn?have you checked if there's oil in the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not tried that ,it's down the road on flat road,yes plenty of oil,for months now,when engine switched off there would be a what I could call a wobbly screetch sound,like I said this happened tonight just before it stopped and came around alternator area,would the alternator seizure cause main pulley unable to move?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello yes thats quite possible try whipping the alternator belt off and see if it cranks OKif it does then try turning the alternator by hand as it should turn smoothly - replace it, if it feels tight in any way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks Matt,Will give that a whirl,
Andy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello glad to helpBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled off alternator ,its free engine won't turn with wrench,its getting to me now,,thought I had got it when I thought was alternator
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK if it won't turn by hand then I'd say the 1st thign to try is remove the glow plugs to see if the cylinders are full of fuel - which would lock up the engine if this is OK and it still won't turn by hand then sorry to say the engine will have to be stripped down to find the fault nad often in these cases its better to source a good used engine and fit that as its often a lot cheaper then rebuilding your rexisting unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks,
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad to helpBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Matt,about to rate you,just a couple of things,since I've owned this van(last June) its been slow cranking.put an RAC battery in july,still cranking slow. RAC advised for new starter also,at the time cleaned that starter van has not been used much last two months,two weeks ago run for 40 miles,no probs,after that moved down the road left few days,when I did jump it ran OK for few minutes,just thinking,may be a possibility something. Jammed in chain or dmf issue,?
Also now when I turn key back after trying to crank there like a recoil sound in barrel area,
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Helloto get these sorts of noises I'd say this is futher evidence that the starter is faulty? either that or the main motor has seized and this is producing a lot of strain on the starterso thats the next thing to check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right,so will try jump start again,if it cranks with jump and starts,runs for few minutes and cuts out,engine naff,?
If I have to change engine where are immobilisers ,,?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the engine starts and runs then it may be OK its just that you said you can't turn it over by hand? and by hnad I mean with a large socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley nut
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He tried socket and ratchet handle on crank pulley will not move,but like I mentioned before it did this,it did run for a few minutes then cut out after a sqeel,that's what makes me think something's jammed in ,I would take it to the garage,but I think they would be experimenting just like me
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello will the motor turn in either direction?if you put your foot on the clutch does this make any difference? if the answer is no to both of these then I'd say to try removing the cam cover and / or the sump so you can see inside the engine to see whats jamming it up or you could just cut your losses now and get a good used engine and plan to fit that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,
I am going to take starter off.
I am going to investigate dmf.
Have seen on different forums that mostly on vw/Audi dmf can cause locked engine,
Have also seen that on ford starters can gather swarf,have took starters off a few times but no dust,am just wondering swarf in bell housing
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hellothat all sounds sensiblegood luck