Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a Focus TDCi Econetic 2010 plate. yesterday I suddenly got a warning the bonnet wa

Customer Question

I have a Focus TDCi Econetic 2010 plate. yesterday I suddenly got a warning the bonnet was open (it was closed), when the car was locked the indicators would not flash on the second press on the remote key indicating the car thought the bonnet was still open. About 1 hour later the rear wiper, electric front windows, outside temp sensor, heater fan and aircon all stopped working (everything else was still working fine. About 15 minutes of driving later everything started working again perfectly and it still is today. Local garage says there were several communication error codes. Could this be damp, I seem to have a couple of very small water leaks in the cabin (one from tailgate hinge recess area and possibly another leading to drivers foot-well. Or could the GEM module be starting to play up?
Keith.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you Ok the first thing to check and most probable cause is a loose multiplug at the fuse box There is a fuse box /gem module located in the passengers footwell under the glove box Can you have a look at the two thin multiplug on The bottom of the fuse box ensure they are clipped right home as I have had issues over the years where by one of these plugs is just not fully home and was causing similar electrical issues with the vehicle There is a green and a brown plug ensure these are right home as this is caused by a loose connection at the gem If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day and a merry Christmas Any postive feedback/ bonuses are greatly appreciated Brian I hope you will be completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER As customer satisfaction is priority
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried that now, I thought one may have been loose yesterday, When I loosened it just now I only lost the outside temp sensor and the boot locked, all else still worked. It's a possible cause but any other ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I lift both out (brown and green) I get all the faults but not sure if they were out of pace yesterday.
It only takes a poor connection on these plugs to disable several systems usally someone's fee or a bag can cause it
Just ensure they are fully fitted home as I mentioned it's a common occuranceonbthe focus gem
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK only 'fault' I can't recreate by lifting them out seems to be the bonnet open message.
Hi there thanks
Ok in this case we may have a seoerate bonnet latch issue
There is a 2 pin multiplug on the latch
If you dissconnect this and connect a piece of wire between the two pins or Nick into the wires and this will trick the gem
Into thinking the bonnet is closed as it is an earth in and earth out system
The earth back to the gem tells it the bonnet is closed and the latches are quite susceptible to intermitent faults like this thus this test is ideall for checking the wiring and gem
Regards ***** *****
Brian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bonnet latch seems to be working fine, if I open it with the green and brown wires in place it reads open as it should. I simply don't get a warning message its open when I recreate all the other faults by unplugging the wires to the fuse/gem unit which makes me think it may not be just a case of those being loose yesterday.
Hi there
I would advise refitting these plugs and monitoring the issue to see if it arises again and then the next step would be to inspect the gem for moisture ingress
As all the systems mentioned are gem controlled
Kind Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Brian,
That has been really helpful. As we have some moisture in the cabin plus the incredible wet weather recently some moisture in the GEM yesterday could be a possibility. I now have to decide if I'm going to risk driving down to Colchester tomorrow from Merseyside or keep the hire car we have booked (can cancel up to 6pm today!). Thanks for all your help.
Keith.
Hi Keith no worries
If you need any further advice going forward with this please let me know
If you ever need any future help or technical help with your focus please don't hesitate to request my services
Kind regards ***** ***** a nice evening and a merry Christmas
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks once more and a happy Christmas to you too Brian. I think we'll keep the hire car tomorrow to be on the safe side as the AA will be mad busy over the next few days with fewer patrols out!