Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 65 plate Ford Focus diesel and unfortunately got caught

I have a 65 plate Ford Focus diesel and unfortunately got caught in flood water - the river flowed onto the road. Water came through the floor so it's soaking and now the amber engine service light is on. The car starts ok. V. Worried I've damaged the engine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response Ok does the vehicle still drive ok ie power is still there Is there any knocking noises from the engine etc Did the vehicle cut out when you went through flood Did it start ok after the flood Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seems a sluggishness to the acceleration when I drove it earlier. Definitely not the turbo I'm used to. No knocking, 'Service now'flashes up which seems to restrict the acceleration then it kicks in. Yes it cut out in the flood and needed pushing out then started normally. Didn't purposely drive into it, the river came across the road toward me. thanks. What do you think?
Hi there thanks
Ok the first thing I would advise you to do is remove the air filter and indirect it for water damage as when vehicles hit puddles the water is commonly sucked into the intake through the air filter
In more serious cases the engine will hydraulic /compress the water and cause serious damage
From your description I think you have got lucky and we may just have an air intake concern or boost issue
So the air filter must be our first port of call
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be best to take it back to dealer as its under warranty? What do you mean by indirect the water? Thanks
Hi there sorry for the delayed response Iam not receiving email notifications at the minute Ok my spell check changed that indirect was meant to say check the air filter for water damage This type of fault is not covered under warranty if water damage is present But it's worth chancing it but if you do don't mention hitting a flood of your warranty won't cover what has been damaged In most cases it's the air filter that has water damage and restricts air flow to the engine so this is always the first check If the filter is damp it must be replaced If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Ian please let me know If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian