Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I left my transit 05 duratorq engine running perfectly into

Customer Question

I left my transit 05 duratorq engine running perfectly into garage to have new alternator fitted and when I came to collect it the fitter told me when he tried to start after fitting alternator the engine was noisy and smoking and he switched it off and now the engine appears to have seezed how can this happen?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
I'd 1st ask if the oil level is showing on the dipstick ?
for the engine to seize then it must be out of oil ? and there's no need to drain oil to fit the alternator
the other alternative is the oil pump drive has broken ? but this engine has no history of this so this would be unusual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt it's nothing to do with oil this engine with less than 80000 uses no oil about 1yr ago there was a noise and when the rocker cover was removed it was discovered that 4 studs holding the shaft that holds the tappets had sheared off , could this b something the same again ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok thanks for the extra information this engine has a habit of jumping a few teeth on the camshaft if the van has been tow or push started also if the oil changes haven't been kept up and fully synthetic oil used then the hydraulic cam chain tensioner can stick and again cause the chain to jump so yes either of these scenarios can lock the engine up and / or break the rocker shaft